Greensburg Country Club Course Intro
Greensburg Country Club, over 100 years old, is an 18-hole, Par 70, championship golf course with a unique six Par 3’s; four of which are the most challenging you will ever play. We meticulously maintain our golf course, keeping it challenging for all levels of golf. We’re proud to say our Junior Golf Program is nationally recognized. Our course sits on 215 acres of natural landscape, inviting you to escape and enjoy peace and tranquility. We designed our links to captivate you at every level, providing the challenges that keep you coming back, time and again. The premiere attraction of the course, giving the members the utmost respect, is the quality and consistent speed of the greens separating Greensburg Country Club from its neighboring facilities.
Greensburg Country Club Course Attire
Please use good judgment when dressing for the Golf Course.
It is mandatory for any golfer playing on our course to have spikeless golf shoes or to have soft spikes (or an equivalent) in their golf shoes. All golfers must wear appropriate attire to be determined by the Golf Professional.
Examples include: Appropriate Attire: Collared or mock neck shirts, golf slacks, Bermuda shorts, and golf shorts.
Inappropriate Attire: Halter-tops, blue jeans, tennis shorts, gym trunks, tank tops, T-shirts, short-shorts- racquetball shorts, boxer type shorts, and sweat pants.
View the video of our beautiful golf course
The Greensburg Country Club History
Greensburg Country Club was officially chartered October 26, 1904, at approximately the same time the work of constructing the Clubhouse began. The architect and decorator was W. H. Van Tine of Pittsburgh. Van Tine would later design “Fair Lane,” the palatial estate of Henry Ford. The Clubhouse was built on the hill in the rear of the orchard with the foundation walls and the two huge chimneys built of sandstone quarried on the farm. The superstructure was of pine covered with cedar shingles in their natural finish.
Excerpts from the local paper, dating back to 1908 give a “mental” picture of how the Clubhouse looked in its early days:
“…A more beautiful site for a Club House could hardly be imagined, topping a slight knoll, which over-looks the entire course yet screened from the railroad and public road by a few gnarled and aged fruit trees, the remains of some farmer’s orchard. A beautiful gravel drive leads up to the house, lined along each side with shrubbery.
“The House itself is not an immense affair, but is amply large enough for the purpose. …a spacious porch almost entirely surrounds the House, where easy chairs and settees of rustic furniture invite those inclined to look on rather than partake of the sport…the nine-hole golf course is one of the best of its kind in the state…”
This nine-hole course was laid out by Mr. P. B. Graham of Carnoustie, Scotland on, according to legend, Colonel Clopper’s farm. Of the original nine holes, five survive largely intact. Holes one through four and hole number eighteen were all part of the original nine, which was entirely contained in the area north of what is now Route 130. Additional property purchases over the years eventually expanded the golf course to eighteen holes in the late 1930’s and early 40’s. In the mid 1960’s, two of the original holes, which were by then numbers 17 and 18 were taken out of play by the purchase of the property west of North Greengate Road and the construction of present holes ten and eleven. The area that formerly made up holes seventeen and eighteen were converted to our present practice range.
Of particular historical note is the old farmhouse on the Club’s property. It is currently the home of Chuck Qualey, the Club’s Head Golf Professional and his family. The house was built in 1796 and has been entered in the Westmoreland County Historical Committee’s archives, and some historians believe it to be one of the oldest stone houses west of the Allegheny Mountain range.
Unfortunately, over the long history of the Club, fires have done great damage to its facilities and records. The greatest fire hit only 5 years after its original construction in December of 1909 and virtually destroyed the entire Club House. A new Club House was constructed from the original foundation in the summer of 1910. The most recent fire occurred April 15, 1999 destroying the kitchen, offices and member dining areas. A brand new Clubhouse was dedicated July 14, 2001. The highlight of the reconstructed facility was the large and multi-functional banquet facilities and ballroom.
In 2004, the Club, like many others in the area, experienced financial difficulty and a declining membership. The members of the Club voted to file for bankruptcy. After attempts to reorganize failed, a friendly buyer was sought that would preserve the institution of Greensburg Country Club. Ultimately the Club’s Executive Committee negotiated an agreement with the Leghorn Golf Group, made up of members and friends of the Club, to purchase the Club’s assets.
Under the Leghorn Golf Group, the Club has been reorganized and has seen membership grow to levels not seen for many years. This group has continued to invest in the Clubhouse and golf course, including a complete renovation of the course’s greenside bunkers completed in 2009.